Sunday 8 May 2011

Chest Workout Routine


This is one of my chest workouts, I like to change my routine every 2 weeks, so that my body doesn't get used to my workouts. This is to help avoid strength plateaus. I personally feel that whenever I change my workout, the soreness the day after is generally much more intense compared to the weeks before, which in my mind means that changing my workout is working.

Basically it's like the first few weeks of you joining the gym, remember these weeks you experience the most INTENSE soreness, and also experience the most gains in muscle and strength, because it's a huge difference on your body (at least in most cases), by switching my workouts up every so often, I hope to maintain these great gains, by means of shocking my system.

In brackets I have put the weights I did for this workout recently (date of post, 07/05/11).

Warming up:

It's important for you to warm up before lifting heavy weights, as it reduces the chance of injury because it increases the flexibility of the muscle fibres. So you should get the blood flowing with some light exercise or even better a few minutes of running, rowing or cycling to get your heart rate up then a few warm-up sets to get blood pumping to the muscles you'll be working.

So get a good warm up and stretch your muscles, which helps the circulation of blood which can also reduces the amount of soreness you experience after your workout. I also like to stretch to feel the muscle I'm working, which helps me maintain focus during the exercises I perform. I start out with light stretches in the beginning and after getting into my heavier sets I get some seriously deep stretches, and hold them for about a minute.

I do a lot of stretches between sets, in my opinion increases the time it takes for my muscle to become tight and numb, when they get tight and numb I generally call it a day,.

1st Exercise: Flat Dumbbell Chest Press

One of my staple exercises for my chest, an exercise which encourages balance in your pectoral muscles, due to the equal amount of weight being pushed in each hand (as long as your form stays solid). This exercise also works your triceps. This exercise works the whole pec, so it is a good mass builder like the typical flat bench press.

Warm up - 2 sets of 12 reps, Light weight (12.5kg)
Working set 1 - 10 reps, Medium to high weight (27.5kg)
Working set 2 - 8 reps, Heavier (30kg)
Working set 3 - 8-6 reps, Heavy weight (32.5kg)
Working set 4 - Till failure, I aim for 6 (35kg)

Note: Get into position, push the weight up, and control it down for about 2 seconds, then push the weight back up for about 1 second. I let them go all the way down for a nice stretch. Try to have the dumbbells to the side of you, like a wide grip bench to utilise your chest muscle more.




Don't be the guy who needs help lifting up 1 of your dumbbells while you get into position (well i guess it's not embarrassing if the weight is above 35kg), learn how to kick up the weights.

I try to use this on my heavier sets
This method is also good, but rarely seen :P

(images from http://www.exrx.net)

2nd Exercise: Barbell Incline chest press

I normally incorporate an incline chest exercise to work the upper pectoral more specifically, because most people lack mass in their upper chest. In most good gyms you'll find a solid incline bench with the 30 degree incline for an optimal upper chest workout.

No warm-up set, sufficiently warmed up from dumbbells.
Working set 1 - 10 reps, Medium weight (40kg)
Working set 2 - 8 reps, Medium - Heavy weight (50kg)
Working set 3 - 8-6 reps, Heavy weight (60kg)
Working set 4 - Till failure I aim for 6, Heavy weight (70kg)

Note: While performing the exercise keep your back firmly on the bench, and bring the bar down to your upper chest, making sure you don't bounce it on your chest, you should always control the weight down anyway. Once down to your upper chest push it back up vertically, trying to keep the bar directly above your upper chest, and keeping the bar at equilibrium, good form induces the most muscle growth and balance in the size of your muscles.

You want tog rip the bar near the guide lines on the Olympic bar or slightly wider, too wide reduces the range of motion, and too narrow will be working your triceps more, in general the wider you go, the more it works your chest.




3rd Exercise: Standing Cable fly's

Working set 1 - 12 reps, Medium weight (15kg each side)
Working set 2 - 10 reps, Medium - Heavy weight (20kg)
Working set 3 - 8 reps, Heavy weight (25kg)
Working set 4 - Till failure I aim for 6, Heavy weight (30-35kg)

Note: This is an isolation exercise, similar to machine fly's an dumbbell fly's, but i prefer to use the cables because unlike dumbbells tension remains in the movement throughout, and unlike machine fly's it's not forcing you through a motion with fixed axis's, so it works more than only your chest muscles, it works the muscles you are using to keep your body stable. On cables you can also alternate  the type of chest fly, but i just go with the typical chest fly which is straight in front of the body, because i like that it seems to work the whole pec, and I feel it much more. 

Keep your arms slightly bent and lock them in that position trying to only use your chest muscles, at the end of the movement squeeze the muscle for a great pump. 


In my opinion you shouldn't cross your fists, or make them cross over each other because if you do that, the pecs are going through different movements, and the angle are different, which can cause muscle imbalance. So I just press my fists together. 

4th Exercise: Burnout, push-ups with supersets of wide machine dips. 

3 sets, as many reps as possible each time, low-medium weight on machine dips. 

Note: This burnout is killer, after the first 3 exercises sometimes i can't even do a push-up since I've gotten so numb. That's just a sign that you've had a good workout, or that the rest periods were too long, but I'd go for the Former.












Finish

Get that protein, drink that water, eat that food and get some sleep. The workout isn't the sole factor in muscle growth or strength progression. You have to eat well, sleep lots and drink enough water or else your body won't get enough nutrients, to build muscle and sustain your internal systems, and enough rest for your body to fully recover before your next workout.

Progress:

For my last 2 working sets I have my partner spot me. Don't give up if you feel that the weight isn't going up, keep pushing and don't be quick to release pressure/tension! And after a period of straining your spotter may give you a little assistance to help you get them last reps in, these can be important for your strength gains and contribute to large amounts of muscle development, think of it like a static hold lol...

Once you're hitting your last working set for a good 6 reps, it is a good time to go heavier, I personally like to try heavier weights in most of my sessions if I'm feeling strong. It's good to try new weights as you''ll get a general feel of the pressure being exerted on your body, and the effort it may require to lift them, so even if you fail to lift them on your first attempt, later you'll have an idea of when your body is ready to do it.

Try to get a spotter for when you attempt to lift weights you've never tried before to be safe, don't be afraid to ask people at your gym for help, they may look threatening but I'm sure they'd be more than willing to lend a hand, because after all they all started somewhere and its likely that they've been through a position where they needed a spotter and some kind soul gladly obliged. This way you can also meet a lot of new people, maybe get some advice. Going to a gym full of people you know and can chat to is really nice, and it can help keep you going back.



These 2 big-ass Asian guys are one of the many reasons I started working out, they're just awesome! Here's a video of one of the chest workouts they do, I've done their workout a few times, it's really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine PlacementSubmit Express