Sunday 1 May 2011

March Progress

Here's the next months progressing pictures. After about 2 months of training. 

Great quality! :P
Legs aren't looking great, but only just started working them properly, they'll get better soon!
Rough statistics at the time: 

Measurements:
Age: 17
Height: 170 cm (5'6)
Weight: 68 kg (143 lbs)

Personal Best Lifts:
Flat Bench Press: - (Only did Dumbbell bench press)
Dumbbell Bench Press: 32.5 kg (Each hand)
Squat: - 80 kg
Dead lift: 110 kg
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: - 20 kg (Each hand)
Military Press: - (Only used machine)

Weekly routine at the time:

Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Back/Biceps
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders/Traps

By this time it was put to my attention that using machines isn't as effective as free weights, and since I'm interested in getting the best workouts and increasing my functional strength, I started doing weighted free squats and dumbbell shoulder press. These free weight exercises felt much better on my joints and I found it easier to feel a good stretch and pump in my muscles which is great, to maintain a good mind-muscle connection

At this point I was pushing myself, as usual, trying to do new weights every session with my partner spotting me for safety of course. Having a spotter is great if you're trying to do new weights you've never done before or if they're trying to get that last rep in, that last rep can be very important to make progress.

Supplements taken:

After finishing the Whey protein from Holland & Barrett and happily throwing away the Milk & Egg protein, I decided that it'd be in my best interest to try new products. 




Inner Armour Super Quad Protein (Cookies & Cream):
Price: £29.95 (Price I bought it for)
Mass: 2kg (4.4 lbs)
Servings: 57 (35g servings)
Price per serving: £0.53
Protein: 24g (Per serving)
Fat: 2g






Review: 
Super Quad Protein is a great product, I love that it is very affordable while remaining a very competitive and quality product. It has 24g of protein which is great, and what made me choose this protein over conventional whey proteins is that it is a protein matrix which has claims of maintaining steady digestion for up to 4 hours, I had read studies that a protein matrix which helps your body sustain protein synthesis in your muscles has shown more gains than people who take only whey protein, super quad protein also has a great BCAA profile and added Glutamine. Super Quad Protein comes in 4 flavours (Strawberry, Vanilla, Cookies & Cream and Double chocolate fudge), I chose cookies & cream which tastes pretty good in water but great in milk and in both it mixes excellently, I never have any lumps. The only issues I have with the product is that I would've preferred it in nice resealable tubs, I find the bags to be annoying to reseal (but I suppose that's one way they keep their costs down), Super Quad Protein also has creatine in it but they don't specify the dosage so it's hard to regulate your creatine intake, but it's a great product overall and I'd definitely recommend you try it. 



(PS, I bought it from e bay and every time you buy the protein they give you 100g of micronised creatine for free and a free sample (they're generally fat burners))










I didn't want to miss out on any gains between the time I leave the gym and getting home to get my protein shake, so i bought a shaker so i can get my protein straight after my workout.

ProElite Blender Bottle:
Price: £3.65 (Price I paid, you can get it cheaper)
Review: 
I just put my powder in it, carry it around in my bag, then whip it out after my workout. At the gym i mix it with water, and with the blender ball it mixes with easy, no lumps at all. It's a great product, and well designed with a strong lid with no rubber gaskets and no leaks, very sturdy. I'd recommend you purchase one of these over a filter shaker. 




Sci-MX Creatine monohydrate:


Price: £12.99 (i got mine cheaper on offer in Sainsburies)
Mass: 250g
Servings: 50 (5g servings)
Price per serving: £0.26












Review:
This creatine is actually quite expensive in my opinion, although it wasn't too bad since my mum bought me 3 tubs on offer lol (Thanks!). The product doesn't recommend any loading phases, just continues use twice a day, 30 mins before a workout. After using it for a while it seems I gained a noticeable amount of water weight, but I didn't feel much bloating so that's good. Honestly I'm not sure if it helps me during my workouts but by this point I hadn't hit any strength plateaus and I was making good process, so perhaps it contributed to my progress. It has definitely increases the size of my muscles. It's a good product which lasts long and seems to be working, the only issues are that i would've liked to be given a scoop/spoon which is 5mg, to give an accurate dosage and also it doesn't mix very well in water (do any creatine powders mix well in water?) and it is quite bitter.

Since I go to school I put a scoop of creatine powder into a small tub and put it in my bag with a funnel to prepare at school before walking to the gym.



Wilko's Multivitamin & Minerals:
Price: £0.50 (2 for £1.00 i think)
Amount: 30 Tablets
Servings: 30
Price per serving: £0.02









Review:
A multi-vitamin supplement can really help you maintain a healthy body, because sometimes it's just impossible to ingest all the essential vitamins and minerals in your day to day food, with all the processed foods and general shit added to create more 'artificial' nutrients which can have adverse effects on your health. This multi-vitamin has all the vitamins you need to stay healthy with a number of important minerals such as iron which can help brain function and is essential for producing blood. It's so affordable, has a large majority of the RDA's of essential vitamins and minerals! I can't comment on how effectively they're absorbed by body, but since this supplement has more essential ingredients than most branded and costly supplements, you can't go wrong at only 50p. These supplements generally take a long period of consumption before any real positive effects are felt, but I'm feeling quite healthy so I'm satisfied. 
Go out and buy yourself a good multi-vitamin & mineral, even if you're not training. 


Diet:
My diet remained the same, other than drinking more water and taking creatine and a multi-vitamin. Tried to reduce the amount I ate before bed. 


Equipment: 
I noticed my hands were becoming coarse with callous skin after lifting weights (especially on back day) so i bought some gloves to protect them, and increase my grip. 


York Multi-purpose Gloves: 
Price: £9.99
Size: Large
Review: 
They're not bad, they help with my grip and protect my hand due to the padded palm, but they've already begun to fray in areas and the finger holes are massive! I'd prefer them to be a better fit... I don't recommend them, low quality, unreasonable price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine PlacementSubmit Express